From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.tolkien,rec.arts.books.tolkien
Subject: Killing the Watcher
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 04:25:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Tue, 2 May 2023 04:25 UTC

One thing I hope was handled decisively early in the
Fourth Age was the destruction of the Watcher in the Water,
whether by Aragorn's troops or Khazad out to avenge Oin
or some collaborative effort or whoever.

What would have been needed beyond the destruction
of the dam on the Sirannon that secured its habitat
and thereby imperiled any travelling mellon?

I don't know if it would have simply suffocated exposed
to air,but any protesting tentacles would have needed
and deserved to be amputated.

-=-=-

Re: Killing the Watcher

<LfScnUEWcIWZKT34nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/arts/article-flat.php?id=313&group=rec.arts.books.tolkien#313

Subject: Re: Killing the Watcher
From: mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.tolkien
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 03:37:40 +0000
 by: MummyChunk - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 03:37 UTC

> Louis Epstein wrote:
> One thing I hope was handled decisively early in the
> Fourth Age was the destruction of the Watcher in the Water,
> whether by Aragorn's troops or Khazad out to avenge Oin
> or some collaborative effort or whoever.
>
> What would have been needed beyond the destruction
> of the dam on the Sirannon that secured its habitat
> and thereby imperiled any travelling mellon?
>
> I don't know if it would have simply suffocated exposed
> to air,but any protesting tentacles would have needed
> and deserved to be amputated.
>
> -=-=-
> The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
> at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

agree that the Watcher in the Water was a menace that should have been
dealt with in the Fourth Age. However, I doubt that destroying the dam
on the Sirannon would have been enough to kill it. According to
Tolkien, the Watcher was a mysterious creature that came from the dark
waters under the mountains. It may have had a connection to the
ancient evil of Morgoth, the first Dark Lord. Therefore, it is
possible that the Watcher could survive in other environments, or even
retreat to the depths of Moria. To ensure its destruction, I think a
more direct attack would have been necessary, perhaps with the aid of
magic or powerful weapons. As for the tentacles, I agree that they
deserved to be cut off, but I wonder if they would have regenerated,
like some real-world animals can do. What do you think?

Re: Killing the Watcher

<uore5e$lc7$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/arts/article-flat.php?id=321&group=rec.arts.books.tolkien#321

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.tolkien
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:33:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:33 UTC

MummyChunk <mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:

> > Louis Epstein wrote:
> > One thing I hope was handled decisively early in the
> > Fourth Age was the destruction of the Watcher in the Water,
> > whether by Aragorn's troops or Khazad out to avenge Oin
> > or some collaborative effort or whoever.
> >
> > What would have been needed beyond the destruction
> > of the dam on the Sirannon that secured its habitat
> > and thereby imperiled any travelling mellon?
> >
> > I don't know if it would have simply suffocated exposed
> > to air,but any protesting tentacles would have needed
> > and deserved to be amputated.
> >
> > -=-=-
> > The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
> > at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

> agree that the Watcher in the Water was a menace that should have been
> dealt with in the Fourth Age. However, I doubt that destroying the dam
> on the Sirannon would have been enough to kill it. According to
> Tolkien, the Watcher was a mysterious creature that came from the dark
> waters under the mountains. It may have had a connection to the
> ancient evil of Morgoth, the first Dark Lord. Therefore, it is
> possible that the Watcher could survive in other environments, or even
> retreat to the depths of Moria. To ensure its destruction, I think a
> more direct attack would have been necessary, perhaps with the aid of
> magic or powerful weapons. As for the tentacles, I agree that they
> deserved to be cut off, but I wonder if they would have regenerated,
> like some real-world animals can do. What do you think?

Obviously the expedition destroying the dam should be heavily armed
and prepared to deal with the Watcher's reactions.(Not sure if the
computer game recently released about a Fourth Age return to Moria
has dealing with the Watcher as a centerpiece or an impossibility or
what).

Might it,as a water-creature,be particularly susceptible to fire?

-=-=-

arts / rec.arts.books.tolkien / Killing the Watcher

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor