Rocksolid Light

Welcome to Rocksolid Light

It is a profitable thing, if one is wise, to seem foolish. -- Aeschylus

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Play Want Bin 2023-08-29

SubjectAuthor
* Play Want Bin 2023-08-29Russell Marks
+* Play Want Bin 2023-08-29Jaimie Vandenbergh
|`- Play Want Bin 2023-08-29Russell Marks
`- Play Want Bin 2023-08-29Kendrick Kerwin Chua

1
Play Want Bin 2023-08-29

<AxrHM.1239264$8uM.452334@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1418&group=uk.games.video.misc#1418

From: zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Play Want Bin 2023-08-29
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 19:20:00 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 19:20 UTC

Play:

Moon Lander (Linux) - more of this. I could probably do with adopting
more of a "hover at 150m and check the landing spot" approach than my
current "randomly stab at buttons and hope for the best".

Oekaki Puzzle (PS1) - inevitably.

Want:

Manifold Garden (PS4) - puzzler with quite nice graphics, a few years
old now I think. The gameplay sounds a bit like a mashup of VVVVVV and
Quantum Conundrum, which does makes me wonder if I'd really get on
with it (as good as both of those were).

Bin:

Nothing.

-Rus.

Re: Play Want Bin 2023-08-29

<kl730aFmj4iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1419&group=uk.games.video.misc#1419

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Play Want Bin 2023-08-29
Date: 29 Aug 2023 20:33:14 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 20:33 UTC

On 29 Aug 2023 at 20:20:00 BST, "Russell Marks"
<zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:

> Play:

Rolled credits on Pikmin 4. The aftergame is another 20% on the main
game, plus a modernised rerun of Pikmin 1. Onward!

> Want:
>
> Manifold Garden (PS4) - puzzler with quite nice graphics, a few years
> old now I think. The gameplay sounds a bit like a mashup of VVVVVV and
> Quantum Conundrum, which does makes me wonder if I'd really get on
> with it (as good as both of those were).

That's the non-euclidean infinite repeating subspaces thiing where you
can mess with which way is down? It's more of a puzzler than platformer
really, despite being first person. I liked it; didn't finish it as my
brain doesn't work that way.

> Bin:

I'm in the middle of several large games; I was kinda hoping finishing
Pikmin would let me get back to one of them. But no! I'm still in the
deliriously enjoyable briar patch.

Zelda, I'm coming for you soon, probably. Maybe after returning to Tokyo
for some more ghostwiring though.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
-- blue_beetle

Re: Play Want Bin 2023-08-29

<-YednX6GUo8V43P5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1420&group=uk.games.video.misc#1420

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendrick@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 23:26:00 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 23:26 UTC

In article <AxrHM.1239264$8uM.452334@usenetxs.com>,
Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>Play:

Armoured Core IV (PS5) - It's lovely, but I can tell just from the
tutorial how linear and strait-laced this game is. Anybody who was
afraid of this just being a Souls game with robots doesn't understand
what they're trying to accomplish in this narrative. This is a game of
contrasts, where the absurdity of spending all your resources on
machines of war collides directly with your inability to feed your own
people, and doing it with robots instead of tanks and aeroplanes just
drives the point home harder. I've just now figured out that you don't
have to engage with all of the enemies in that tutorial area, just the
ones that are in your way. I'll be giving this a more thorough go as the
week goes on.

Namco Museum Collection 2 (EVC) - Mainly I got this out to provide my
kid with another way to play Galaga that doesn't involved complicated
Switch setup and tomfoolery. It's the NES version, but I don't think
he'll notice. I did put some time into Phelios, which is just a
scrolling shooter dressed up as an ancient Roman epic battlefield. An
epic battlefield with danmaku bullets and floating power-ups, just as
Homer and Plato described.

>Want:

More time - The boy had a birthday party this weekend and it was
scheduled for a scant two hours, but took six because all his classmates
were just having too much fun jumping on trampolines and driving
go-carts. Next time I'm just buying him a pizza or something.

>Bin:

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $3,367

Legend of Heroes Trails from Zero (PS4) - $50
Tokyo Xanadu EX+ (PS4) - $75
Armoured Core IV (PS5) - $60
Legend of Heroes Trails into Reverie (NSW) - $60
Edge of Eternity (PS4) - $17

Total to date - $3,629

-KKC, who's not looking forward to local weather for the next day or so.

Re: Play Want Bin 2023-08-29

<fcNHM.1736875$JGz7.1326837@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1421&group=uk.games.video.misc#1421

From: zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:59:07 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:59 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2023 at 20:20:00 BST, "Russell Marks"
> <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Want:
>>
>> Manifold Garden (PS4) - puzzler with quite nice graphics, a few years
>> old now I think. The gameplay sounds a bit like a mashup of VVVVVV and
>> Quantum Conundrum, which does makes me wonder if I'd really get on
>> with it (as good as both of those were).
>
> That's the non-euclidean infinite repeating subspaces thiing where you
> can mess with which way is down?

Aside from feeling like I wandered into an episode of Star Trek - uh,
probably? :-)

> It's more of a puzzler than platformer really, despite being first
> person. I liked it; didn't finish it as my brain doesn't work that
> way.

This is the sort of outcome I'm suspecting for me as well, TBH.

-Rus.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Play Want Bin 2023-08-29

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor