From: anw@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Subject: Gas standing charge
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:33:47 +0000
=QooC
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: Andy Walker - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:33 UTC

A family member owns commercial property, rented as offices. The tenant
left in October; FM had the gas supply [which was unused] capped and
asked the gas company to remove the meter. GC, which is notorious for
slow responses, eventually replied and agreed subject to the payment of
their standard charge for that. FM paid the charge into her account and
informed GC. GC said they would let her know when removal would take
place. Several months on, she is still waiting; e-mails either go
unanswered or receive "holding" responses. Meanwhile, GC is still
sending bills, including their standing charge of £2.50 + VAT per day,
which has therefore more than swallowed up the meter-removal charge.
They are now regularly reminding FM that her account is in debit and
demanding payment.

I would have expected that once the supply had been capped
and meter-removal agreed, no further charges would be payable. There
is clearly no incentive to remove the meter if the company can continue
to receive income from it for no actual service. Of course, they don't
respond to queries .... Is my expectation correct, or are energy
companies raking in millions every year simply by not doing anything?

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music

Re: Gas standing charge

<ulshc1$3uft$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4502&group=uk.legal.moderated#4502

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Subject: Re: Gas standing charge
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:45:53 +0000
=Z9Uh
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: Davey - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:45 UTC

On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:33:47 +0000
Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk> wrote:

> or are energy
> companies raking in millions every year simply by not doing anything?

They make millions on interest on our money that they hold, so I
would expect the 'raking in millions.." option.

--
Davey.

Re: Gas standing charge

<ulslht$4vt3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4508&group=uk.legal.moderated#4508

From: kraken.sankey@gmail.com (TTman)
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:57:17 +0000
=rEFU
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: TTman - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:57 UTC

On 19/12/2023 16:33, Andy Walker wrote:
> A family member owns commercial property, rented as offices.  The tenant
> left in October;  FM had the gas supply [which was unused] capped and
> asked the gas company to remove the meter.  GC, which is notorious for
> slow responses, eventually replied and agreed subject to the payment of
> their standard charge for that.  FM paid the charge into her account and
> informed GC.  GC said they would let her know when removal would take
> place.  Several months on, she is still waiting;  e-mails either go
> unanswered or receive "holding" responses.  Meanwhile, GC is still
> sending bills, including their standing charge of £2.50 + VAT per day,
> which has therefore more than swallowed up the meter-removal charge.
> They are now regularly reminding FM that her account is in debit and
> demanding payment.
>
>     I would have expected that once the supply had been capped
> and meter-removal agreed, no further charges would be payable.  There
> is clearly no incentive to remove the meter if the company can continue
> to receive income from it for no actual service.  Of course, they don't
> respond to queries ....  Is my expectation correct, or are energy
> companies raking in millions every year simply by not doing anything?

I think that's the crux... Meter capped, removal contract agreed and
paid for. I say the GC are in breach of contract. Not sure about the way
forward though. Does the FM sue using MCOL and for resolution specify
that the contract be completed.?

--

Re: Gas standing charge

<ulssn5$68k9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4524&group=uk.legal.moderated#4524

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.legal.moderated
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 19:59:32 +0000
=fHzX
Originator: webstump@chiark.greenend.org.uk ([212.13.197.229])
 by: Fredxx - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 19:59 UTC

On 19/12/2023 16:33, Andy Walker wrote:
> A family member owns commercial property, rented as offices.  The tenant
> left in October;  FM had the gas supply [which was unused] capped and
> asked the gas company to remove the meter.  GC, which is notorious for
> slow responses, eventually replied and agreed subject to the payment of
> their standard charge for that.  FM paid the charge into her account and
> informed GC.  GC said they would let her know when removal would take
> place.  Several months on, she is still waiting;  e-mails either go
> unanswered or receive "holding" responses.  Meanwhile, GC is still
> sending bills, including their standing charge of £2.50 + VAT per day,
> which has therefore more than swallowed up the meter-removal charge.
> They are now regularly reminding FM that her account is in debit and
> demanding payment.
>
>     I would have expected that once the supply had been capped
> and meter-removal agreed, no further charges would be payable.  There
> is clearly no incentive to remove the meter if the company can continue
> to receive income from it for no actual service.  Of course, they don't
> respond to queries ....  Is my expectation correct, or are energy
> companies raking in millions every year simply by not doing anything?

It might be worthwhile checking for suppliers with low tariffs. In the
past some were no standing charge but I think all now charge. In my area
they go down to £77 per year for gas.

It might take many years for it to be worthwhile to remove the meter,
and zero tariffs might return in the meantime.

aus+uk / uk.legal.moderated / Re: Gas standing charge

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor