Rocksolid Light

Welcome to Rocksolid Light

"Everybody is talking about the weather but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

interests / rec.games.frp.misc / What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?

SubjectAuthor
* What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?Kyonshi
+* Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?lkh
|`- Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?Kyonshi
`* Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?Justisaur
 `* Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?Kyonshi
  `* Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?Justisaur
   `- Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?Kyonshi

1
What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?

<v0vcs5$7jn2$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=241&group=rec.games.frp.misc#241

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Subject: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 23:31:56 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Wed, 1 May 2024 21:31 UTC

So, it comes to the end of the month. I know, I asked about the whole
thing a bit into the last month already, but it's a brand new month, so
lets go over the last one...
What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?

This month was the first LABYRINTH LORD game in a while, played with the
MapTool VTT, which actually was pretty nice. We were going through
Skerples' Tomb of the Serpent Kings (only the first two parts so far),
and then half the group died to some snakemen skeletons.
For what it's worth I actually liked the experience with the MapTool,
but it feels like it's idea for such a short enclosed area. I don't
really see it being that useful in more open spaces.

Shadowrun3 Seattle 2050. We are currently doing a campaign where we go
through the really old modules, and we managed to finish a homebrew
adventure and then completely messed up the second part of Harlequin.
That last part was actually an in person session, which is a rarity the
last few years, what with the pandemic and adulthood and players moving
all over the continent. Luckily last week two of our group were here for
a family birthday and the kids were away. Meeting actual real life
people! And then playing pretend with them!

Huh, I assumed I was going to be able to say more, but those sessions
were in March already.

So what about you?

Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?

<v11ssk$13eeu$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=242&group=rec.games.frp.misc#242

From: lkh@sdf-eu.org (lkh)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Subject: Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 05:32:04 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: <lkh@dwalin.fritz.box>
sha1:u2EHC3ZFG2KHT8Mm6gyjz8TwGxw= sha256:eY/4lQBSkNkD4pCi66sWleZkjWZxMyPouMOFCGiW3pA=
 by: lkh - Fri, 3 May 2024 05:32 UTC

Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, it comes to the end of the month. I know, I asked about the whole
> thing a bit into the last month already, but it's a brand new month, so
> lets go over the last one...
> What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?

I took part in three games this month. Not to bad I guess, but the month
was quite busy with work and stuff.

# Burning Wheel

First game I played in was a one on one Burning Wheel game, which I
enjoyed a lot. There's an after action report by GM alex here:
https://campaignwiki.org/wiki/MontagInZ%c3%bcrich/2024-04-04_Starhome
It's amazing how much can happen in a two hour game when you're the
only player.

# Labyrinth Lord

Next up was your game :D

> This month was the first LABYRINTH LORD game in a while, played with the
> MapTool VTT, which actually was pretty nice. We were going through
> Skerples' Tomb of the Serpent Kings (only the first two parts so far),
> and then half the group died to some snakemen skeletons.

Well ... I'll freely admit, that I played that coward of character and
his hireling who were to live, because they (I) chickend out ...

> For what it's worth I actually liked the experience with the MapTool,
> but it feels like it's idea for such a short enclosed area. I don't
> really see it being that useful in more open spaces.

Yes, I enjoyed that technical / visual part too, and I think MapTool
is underestimated when compared to roll20 or foundry.

As for the open spaces, I've used Roll20 quite extensively for overland
travel and classical player mapped dungeon crawls. The trick is, to
keep in mind, that you don't *have* to use fancy maps, lighting and
field of vision tricks and all the bells and whistles.

In wildernes / hexcrawl mode, you'll use the map for basic reference,
and just a single counter to indicate "you are here". In dungeon crawl
mode I used to put the players on a simple map with squares and let
them draw themselves as we went along, just as you would with pen and
paper. For combat you have all the choices: perpare an area in advance
with a fancy map and all, or just put up a basic black on white map,
quickly sketch in some interesting obstacles.

I've also used the VTT for some wargame like scenarios with a scale
of 10 yards to an inch, both for Traveller and OD&D.

VTTs seem to suggest, that you'll use them to map and display every
nook and cranny of a dungeon. This might work nicely for a small
linear dungeon designed for editions 3.5 upwards, where the meat and
potatoes are in complex preplanned encounters. But when you look
at a classical mega dungeon, the whole idea becomes silly. So just
relax and play like you would at the table, and use the VTT to show
handouts, and pop up a blank map with counters to show marching
order and maybe some rough sketches (it helps it the mapper uses
a graphics tablet).

# OD&D

Next and last game for me was our f2f OD&D campaign, which felt
like one of the grandest rpg experiences I've ever had. I'll write
about it elsewhere ... but just for some basic facts:

We started out with three magic users levels 3, 5 and 6, one level 2
halfling fighter/thief, and one level 2 cleric. The players took a
solid 1.5 hours for perparations, planning and book keeping ...
no kidding ... but then they delivered:

Summoning illusions of old red dragons, throwing
fire balls, lightning bolts and commanding guerilla style units of
about 80 heads, they broke up the seige of a nearby castle, defeated
the besiegers, and freed the inhabitants from their foul
cultist lords, banishing a demon along the way. Too bad the
halfling succumbed to his greed for magical swords and failed his
resurrection save ...

They went home with almost 20.000 XP honestly earned, plenty of loot
and ... apparently ... their own castle.

Which left me, as a referee, somewhat puzzled but super happy :D

So looking forward to May. There's another Burning Wheel scheduled,
more Lab Lord goodness coming up and also some UVG ... good times!

Cheers,

lkh

PS: never got into Shadowrun ...

--
Laurens Kils-Hütten * lkh@sdf-eu.org * @lkh@social.sdfeu.org

Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?

<v133l1$kqjg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=243&group=rec.games.frp.misc#243

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 09:33:36 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 3 May 2024 16:33 UTC

On 5/1/2024 2:31 PM, Kyonshi wrote:
> So, it comes to the end of the month. I know, I asked about the whole
> thing a bit into the last month already, but it's a brand new month, so
> lets go over the last one...
> What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?
>
> This month was the first LABYRINTH LORD game in a while, played with the
> MapTool VTT, which actually was pretty nice. We were going through
> Skerples' Tomb of the Serpent Kings (only the first two parts so far),
> and then half the group died to some snakemen skeletons.
> For what it's worth I actually liked the experience with the MapTool,
> but it feels like it's idea for such a short enclosed area. I don't
> really see it being that useful in more open spaces.
>
> Shadowrun3 Seattle 2050. We are currently doing a campaign where we go
> through the really old modules, and we managed to finish a homebrew
> adventure and then completely messed up the second part of Harlequin.
> That last part was actually an in person session, which is a rarity the
> last few years, what with the pandemic and adulthood and players moving
> all over the continent. Luckily last week two of our group were here for
> a family birthday and the kids were away. Meeting actual real life
> people! And then playing pretend with them!
>
> Huh, I assumed I was going to be able to say more, but those sessions
> were in March already.
>
> So what about you?

I played a tiny bit of PnP Dungeon Robber solo as I was trying to
prepare for printing it out and making sure I had everything I needed.
The poster's a bit unwieldy, so I wanted to make sure I had the ones
that aren't in the rule papers, but on the poster printed separately so
I don't have to use the poster.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?

<v13imj$1a4bu$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=317&group=rec.games.frp.misc#317

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 22:35:36 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Fri, 3 May 2024 20:35 UTC

On 5/3/2024 6:33 PM, Justisaur wrote:

> I played a tiny bit of PnP Dungeon Robber solo as I was trying to
> prepare for printing it out and making sure I had everything I needed.
> The poster's a bit unwieldy, so I wanted to make sure I had the ones
> that aren't in the rule papers, but on the poster printed separately so
> I don't have to use the poster.

I came across a Labyrinth Lord solo crawl on amazon a while ago (Ruins
of the Undercity), and I will try to play this soon. Want to see how
that one goes.

Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?

<v13imj$1a4bu$2@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=319&group=rec.games.frp.misc#319

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 22:34:23 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Fri, 3 May 2024 20:34 UTC

On 5/3/2024 7:32 AM, lkh wrote:
> Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, it comes to the end of the month. I know, I asked about the whole
>> thing a bit into the last month already, but it's a brand new month, so
>> lets go over the last one...
>> What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?
>
> I took part in three games this month. Not to bad I guess, but the month
> was quite busy with work and stuff.
>
> # Burning Wheel
>
> First game I played in was a one on one Burning Wheel game, which I
> enjoyed a lot. There's an after action report by GM alex here:
> https://campaignwiki.org/wiki/MontagInZ%c3%bcrich/2024-04-04_Starhome
> It's amazing how much can happen in a two hour game when you're the
> only player.

I never really got into Burning Wheel. I think I looked at it before but
my eyes glazed over.

> # Labyrinth Lord
>
> Next up was your game :D
>
>> This month was the first LABYRINTH LORD game in a while, played with the
>> MapTool VTT, which actually was pretty nice. We were going through
>> Skerples' Tomb of the Serpent Kings (only the first two parts so far),
>> and then half the group died to some snakemen skeletons.
>
> Well ... I'll freely admit, that I played that coward of character and
> his hireling who were to live, because they (I) chickend out ...
>
>> For what it's worth I actually liked the experience with the MapTool,
>> but it feels like it's idea for such a short enclosed area. I don't
>> really see it being that useful in more open spaces.
>
> Yes, I enjoyed that technical / visual part too, and I think MapTool
> is underestimated when compared to roll20 or foundry.
>
> As for the open spaces, I've used Roll20 quite extensively for overland
> travel and classical player mapped dungeon crawls. The trick is, to
> keep in mind, that you don't *have* to use fancy maps, lighting and
> field of vision tricks and all the bells and whistles.
>
> In wildernes / hexcrawl mode, you'll use the map for basic reference,
> and just a single counter to indicate "you are here". In dungeon crawl
> mode I used to put the players on a simple map with squares and let
> them draw themselves as we went along, just as you would with pen and
> paper. For combat you have all the choices: perpare an area in advance
> with a fancy map and all, or just put up a basic black on white map,
> quickly sketch in some interesting obstacles.

I think this would be possible with Maptool even, there are some of the
free libraries which can be used to just create ad hoc dungeons with
common dungeon shapes.(Wyrframe's Shady Halls specifically)
I was thinking they might be a good way to quickly create some dungeons
for use in the game, but your comment just got me the idea that the
dungeon mapper might just map along if given the right rights in the
program. Hmm... this might be something to think about.

> I've also used the VTT for some wargame like scenarios with a scale
> of 10 yards to an inch, both for Traveller and OD&D.

I was thinking of doing a bit of wargaming in there, I was thinking the
hex and counter kind, or some skirmish games though.

> VTTs seem to suggest, that you'll use them to map and display every
> nook and cranny of a dungeon. This might work nicely for a small
> linear dungeon designed for editions 3.5 upwards, where the meat and
> potatoes are in complex preplanned encounters. But when you look
> at a classical mega dungeon, the whole idea becomes silly. So just
> relax and play like you would at the table, and use the VTT to show
> handouts, and pop up a blank map with counters to show marching
> order and maybe some rough sketches (it helps it the mapper uses
> a graphics tablet).
>

> # OD&D
>
> Next and last game for me was our f2f OD&D campaign, which felt
> like one of the grandest rpg experiences I've ever had. I'll write
> about it elsewhere ... but just for some basic facts:
>
> We started out with three magic users levels 3, 5 and 6, one level 2
> halfling fighter/thief, and one level 2 cleric. The players took a
> solid 1.5 hours for perparations, planning and book keeping ...
> no kidding ... but then they delivered:
>
> Summoning illusions of old red dragons, throwing
> fire balls, lightning bolts and commanding guerilla style units of
> about 80 heads, they broke up the seige of a nearby castle, defeated
> the besiegers, and freed the inhabitants from their foul
> cultist lords, banishing a demon along the way. Too bad the
> halfling succumbed to his greed for magical swords and failed his
> resurrection save ...
>
> They went home with almost 20.000 XP honestly earned, plenty of loot
> and ... apparently ... their own castle.
>
> Which left me, as a referee, somewhat puzzled but super happy :D
>

> So looking forward to May. There's another Burning Wheel scheduled,
> more Lab Lord goodness coming up and also some UVG ... good times!
>
> Cheers,
>
> lkh
>
> PS: never got into Shadowrun ...

I think Shadowrun makes more sense if you really see it as DnD but with
guns. Even the classic starter setting of the Seattle megaplex feels
very Keep on the Borderlands: a single city state, cut off from their
main homeland, port city, surrounded by tribal lands full of hostiles,
and elvish kingdom to the south, multiple big fortresses and dungeons in
the city.
Dave Arneson even wrote the first proper module (DNA/DOA) and Ken St.
Andre got involved in the first book.
By now it is it's own thing, but back in the beginning it was very much
a reaction to DnD.

We are playing through some of the early modules and I feel like a few
of the scenarios we had have some issues. I still don't know if I want
to run DNA/DOA for example, because it has some great setpieces, but it
also manages to be somewhat railroady. It also manages to put a dungeon
crawl into a cyberpunk setting.

Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?

<v15m70$19ftb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=320&group=rec.games.frp.misc#320

From: justisaur@yahoo.com (Justisaur)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 09:02:39 -0700
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 4 May 2024 16:02 UTC

On 5/3/2024 1:35 PM, Kyonshi wrote:
> On 5/3/2024 6:33 PM, Justisaur wrote:
>

>> I played a tiny bit of PnP Dungeon Robber solo as I was trying to
>> prepare for printing it out and making sure I had everything I needed.
>> The poster's a bit unwieldy, so I wanted to make sure I had the ones
>> that aren't in the rule papers, but on the poster printed separately
>> so I don't have to use the poster.
>>

> I came across a Labyrinth Lord solo crawl on amazon a while ago (Ruins
> of the Undercity), and I will try to play this soon. Want to see how
> that one goes.

The name sounds familiar, I didn't realize it was a solo crawl. I might
have to look into that.

I used to read/play a lot of the fighting fantasy books which were
generally pretty good, and I did play the Sorcerer ones (didn't like
those so much.) I tried the first Lone Wolf one a couple years back and
didn't enjoy it at all.

I rather enjoyed the Basic D&D solo module Ghost of Lion Castle too. I
once tried to convert it to a one-on-one module, but it was a bit too
hard to figure out for running it as a DM due to the format.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'

Re: What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?

<v18olr$32jru$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

  copy mid

http://novabbs.i2p/interests/article-flat.php?id=323&group=rec.games.frp.misc#323

From: gmkeros@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.misc
Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 21:41:13 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Sun, 5 May 2024 19:41 UTC

On 5/4/2024 6:02 PM, Justisaur wrote:
> On 5/3/2024 1:35 PM, Kyonshi wrote:
>> On 5/3/2024 6:33 PM, Justisaur wrote:
>>

>>> I played a tiny bit of PnP Dungeon Robber solo as I was trying to
>>> prepare for printing it out and making sure I had everything I
>>> needed. The poster's a bit unwieldy, so I wanted to make sure I had
>>> the ones that aren't in the rule papers, but on the poster printed
>>> separately so I don't have to use the poster.
>>>

>> I came across a Labyrinth Lord solo crawl on amazon a while ago (Ruins
>> of the Undercity), and I will try to play this soon. Want to see how
>> that one goes.
>
> The name sounds familiar, I didn't realize it was a solo crawl.  I might
> have to look into that.
>
> I used to read/play a lot of the fighting fantasy books which were
> generally pretty good, and I did play the Sorcerer ones (didn't like
> those so much.)  I tried the first Lone Wolf one a couple years back and
> didn't enjoy it at all.
>
> I rather enjoyed the Basic D&D solo module Ghost of Lion Castle too.  I
> once tried to convert it to a one-on-one module, but it was a bit too
> hard to figure out for running it as a DM due to the format.

I did a lot of Fighting Fantasy as well, but the German rpg mainstay of
Das Schwarze Auge had solo adventures since the very first box they put
out, and they still are putting them out occasionally. Some of them even
good.

interests / rec.games.frp.misc / What have you been playing in APRIL 2024?

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor